Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta With Chicken & Mushrooms
If you are anything like me, you love the smells and flavors of fall. As the days here in Idaho have gotten colder and gloomier, I have been craving butternut squash, roasted chicken, and pasta. This butternut squash and chicken pasta is a healthy way to fill your belly and soothe your soul on a cool autumn day.
The other day, I went to the store and got all the fixings for a chicken, butternut squash, and wild rice dish adorned with cranberries and pecans but never got around to making it.
Today after I finished a cold and rainy but weirdly enjoyable run…I was craving pasta. However… I needed to put the ingredients I got the other day to use so I came up with something different.
Let me tell you… it did NOT disappoint. Butternut squash is so freaking good, do not underestimate its tasty powers!
I am not one for following recipes unless I am baking, so of course, I did not think to actually write anything down or pay attention to cooking times and such when I made this.
However, when a friend sees your IG reel and asks you to share it, you deliver!
I did my best to recall what I used and my cooking process. This thing about something like this is honestly you can not mess it up. Add more veggies, and take some out. Switch up the seasonings. Use sausage instead of chicken.
It is super versatile, so do not be afraid to use your own process or different ingredients. I am sure it will turn out delightful.
This meal is also quite healthy. Just be sure to use the oil sparingly and don’t go overboard on the cheese you have a great combination of protein, carbs, and healthy fats, so you can have a cozy meal but not feel weighed down.
You could even use a different squash, like acorn, if that is what you happen to have on hand. Have leftover chicken on hand? Use that! You can even swap out the pasta for gnocchi or cheese-stuffed tortellini!
Remember to be creative and enjoy the process!
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta With Chicken & Mushrooms Recipe
This should take around 30 minutes… give or take.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into small chunks)
1 small butternut squash (cut into small chunks)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 oz Parmesan cheese (freshly grated if possible)
2 handfuls spinach
8 oz pasta
8 oz mushrooms
3 fresh sage leaves (dry could work too)
2 tbsp cream (milk, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese… use whatever)
1 tbsp butter
Red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper
- Drizzle diced butternut squash with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Sprinkle fresh chopped sage over the butternut squash and toss. Roast in the oven at 400 for about 30 mins (until fork tender).
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Heat olive oil in a pan (cast iron is ideal) and sauté chicken until browned.
- Remove chicken from the pan and add butter, a bit of olive oil, and mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sauté mushrooms until browned.
- Cook pasta (or use leftover) while mushrooms and squash finish cooking.
- Combine cooked chicken, mushrooms, & pasta in a baking dish. Add fresh spinach and toss.
- Add half the cooked butternut squash to the blender with ¼ cup of warm chicken broth. Blend. Add cream and blend more. It should be thick and smooth. Add broth as needed.
- Drizzle blended butternut squash sauce over other ingredients in the baking dish. Mix in the remaining squash. Add half the grated parmesan cheese and toss until everything is coated. Add the other half of the cheese on top. Return to oven and bake for 5-8- minutes.
Enjoy and stay tuned! As Christmas season approaches I am dreaming of all the delicious food I had at the European Christmas markets last year and I may need to try to recreate some of the things I ate!